Welcome to Blackburn College
国产偷拍视频There is no other college or university in the United States quite like Blackburn College. Our unique campus culture is the byproduct of the purposeful melding of our nationally acclaimed student-managed Work Program and rigorous liberal arts academic curriculum. The result is a unique living laboratory for learning where the boundaries between job and classroom are blurred, and mentoring from faculty and staff knows no clock.
国产偷拍视频Since 1913, Blackburn’s student managed Work Program has made the dream of a college education affordable for thousands of first generation students by keeping the cost of our private liberal arts education within their reach. Over the years, our students have built Blackburn – literally brick by brick. In fact, Blackburn enjoys the distinction of being the only college campus in the United States to have been largely built by its students. Today our students carry on this tradition by staffing mission critical jobs as plumbers, carpenters, painters, landscapers, cooks, servers, administrators, computer technicians, janitors, graphic artists, security officers, assistant coaches, tutors and teaching assistants.
At Blackburn, students are fully vested in every aspect of their college experience, whether it’s success in the classroom, managing or staffing their campus job or in governing the life of the institution.
1835: Government land for the college obtained by Gideon Blackburn. Site for the campus purchased by citizens.
1837: Land deeded to trustees by Gideon Blackburn. Blackburn College founded by Dr. Gideon Blackburn.
1855: Instruction began.
国产偷拍视频1857: Blackburn Theological Seminary chartered. First unit of University Hall (“Old Main”) erected.
国产偷拍视频1858: “Old Main” constructed (located near today’s Jones Hall)
国产偷拍视频1862: Blackburn Academy organized (on campus grade school and high school)
1864: Four year college established. Women admitted to all classes.
1867: Theological department organized. Second unit of “Old Main” erected.
国产偷拍视频1869: Charter name changed to Blackburn University.
1870: First college commencement held in Macoupin County Courthouse.
1871: First edition of the Blackburn Gazette published (later known as The Blackburn Courier, The Blackburnian, and finally The ‘Burnian国产偷拍视频) which is today the oldest college newspaper still published in Illinois.
1880: Robertson Hall constructed (located where today’s Ludlum Hall stands).
1883: The graduating class donates the “Virgin Rock”, which sits in front of Butler Hall.
国产偷拍视频1885: Minton Observatory constructed (near the site of today’s C.H.C. Anderson building).
国产偷拍视频1913: Student “Self Help Plan” initiated (participating students paid $100 tuition and contributed 3 hrs.day of manual labor). College barns built.
国产偷拍视频1915: Pullman cars donated and installed to be used as dormitories.
1916: Certificate of Associate of Arts granted to graduates.
1917: Last four-year class graduated (4 members) until the 1949 class.
1918: Bachelor of Arts four year program discontinued. Junior College established. First junior college class (9 members) graduated.
国产偷拍视频1922: Central heating plant completed.
国产偷拍视频1924: Stoddard Hall constructed.
国产偷拍视频1926: McKinley House constructed. Given to Blackburn University by Senator McKinley.
国产偷拍视频1927: Old Main (University Hall) destroyed by fire.
1928: Burridge D. Butler Hall constructed. Ground broken for what would become Hudson Hall.
1930: The original Blackburn Academy discontinued. Hudson Hall constructed. Pullman cars discarded (burned).
国产偷拍视频1931: Blackburn accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools as a Junior College.
国产偷拍视频1932: Temporary gymnasium erected.
1934: Wilson House opened.
国产偷拍视频1936: Modern dairy barn erected.
国产偷拍视频1937: Dairy house erected.
国产偷拍视频1938: Dawes Gymnasium constructed.
1940: New boiler and stokers installed. Senate purchased and remodelled.
1941: Ground broken for Jones Hall.
国产偷拍视频1942: Minton Observatory razed.
1943: North wing of the College Barn destroyed by fire; agriculture program effectively discontinued Brick tool house and garage constructed.
1947: Bachelor of Arts degree program re-established. Library Annex obtained.
1949: Jones-Allison Hall constructed.
1950: Blackburn received accreditation as a four year Bachelor’s degree granting institution.
国产偷拍视频1951: Music building acquired.
国产偷拍视频1954: C.H.C. Anderson Student Center (“Den”) constructed.
1957: F.W. Olin Science Building constructed.
国产偷拍视频1959: Graham Hall constructed. Robertson Hall destroyed by fire. Renner Art building acquired.
1960: Associate of Arts degree discontinued.
1961: Construction of Ludlum Hall begun.
1962: Alumni hall of Biology added to F.W. Olin Science Building.
国产偷拍视频1964: Construction of Lumpkin Library begun.
1965: Challacombe Hall (“North”) constructed. Ludlum Hall construction completed.
国产偷拍视频1967: Theresa M. Renner Art Center opened. Separate gas-heating units replace central coal-fired heating.
国产偷拍视频1968: C.H.C. Anderson Student Center expanded. Fred M. Jewell residence Hall and James R. Fuller Infirmary constructed.
1969: Clegg Chapel renovated. Clement J. and Elizabeth P. Lumpkin Library opened. North wind still under construction. Allison Dining Hall expanded.
1970: Isabel Bothwell Conservatory of Music with facilities for theater construction completed.
国产偷拍视频1971: Language Laboratory newly equipped.
1972: Former library space in Hudson Hall lower level converted into classrooms and offices.
国产偷拍视频1974: Remodeling of Dawes Gymnasium begun. Playing floor enlarged to regulation size.
1975: Construction begun on Woodward (addition to Dawes Gymnasium) to include swimming pool, locker rooms, exercise areas, and handball courts.
1983: Computer Center established.
1984: Herbert N. Woodward Physical Education Center dedicated.
1991: Mary H. Rahme Learning Resource Center dedicated.
1999: Physical Plant Building completed (located behind Lumpkin)
2000: Hudson Hall completely renovated.
国产偷拍视频2002: Demuzio Campus Center opened. Includes kitchen and dining hall, snack bar, student life offices, Work Program offices, mail room, and bookstore.
国产偷拍视频2003: Visual Arts Center constructed (attached to north side of Bothwell conservatory).
国产偷拍视频2005: David M. Woodson Center for Business and Economics opened (housed inside Jones-Allison where the kitchen and dining hall were previously located).
国产偷拍视频2008: The Marvin and Ingrid Mahan Science Laboratory constructed (located adjacent to Olin, one of the first LEED rated buildings in central Illinois, houses state of the art laboratories for biology, chemistry, biochemistry, faculty offices, and a large enclosed atrium).
2009: Swimming pool in Woodward Center closed.
2014: Phase 1 of the Lumpkin Learning Commons renovation completed (Lobby and offices).
国产偷拍视频2016: Phase 2 of the Lumpkin Learning Commons renovation completed (north wing).
2016: C.H.C. Anderson (the “Den”) remodelled/refurbished and named the Claire Jaenke Alumni Welcome Center in C.H.C. Anderson. Alumni and Development staff moves from Ludlum Hall to the Welcome Center.
国产偷拍视频2017: Woodward Center renovated and re-purposed for a wellness center. Old pool area filled in and covered with new floor for placement of exercise equipment. Lobby, offices, and hall redone.
Buildings constructed by students on the Work Program:
- Stoddard Hall
- Butler Hall
- Hudson Hall
- Dawes Gymnasium
- Olin Science Hall
- Graham Hall
- Alumni Hall of Biology
- Ludlum Hall
- Lumpkin Library
- Woodward Center (Dawes addition)
- Rahme Learning Resource Center addition to Lumpkin Learning Commons