A second language is a lifelong SKILL that improves job prospects, increases salary, allows you to make new connections, and enhances quality of life. Spanish is the official language of 22 countries, and is spoken by over half a billion people worldwide, including 50 million right here in the US.
Points of Distinction
- A focus on real-world skills and job readiness.
- Dynamic, interactive classes that keep students interested.
- Task-based method that gets students fluent fast—you WILL be able to speak Spanish after just a few courses.
- Conversation tables with friendly young Spanish speakers.
- Fun extracurricular events and field trips involving Hispanic foods, music and more.
- Hands-on work experience: Majors are eligible to work as teaching assistants or
Why this Major?
- Employers are twice as likely to hire you if you are bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Knowing Spanish generally adds 10-25% to your salary after graduation.
- Most employers say what they want is college graduates who can communicate well. Majoring in Spanish prepares you for most jobs in the work force.
- You can also minor in Spanish, and have many of the same benefits as a major.
Blackburn’s language experience is different. A language is learned by speaking it, but at most schools, the only practice a student gets is in the classroom. At Blackburn, students have access to conversation groups with young, dynamic, friendly Spanish speakers. With this advantage, you will become fluent fast while having fun.
国产偷拍视频 Study abroad is a great way to learn, but at most schools it can cost $20,000 for just one semester. At Blackburn, Spanish Majors can study abroad without paying anything extra: just regular Blackburn tuition and room and board.
Activities & Events
国产偷拍视频The Department of Modern Languages organizes many different extracurricular events for its students throughout the year: dinners, dances, field trips to cultural events, and more. See departmental website for pictures of recent events and a list of upcoming activities.
Clubs & Organizations
The Spanish Club works together with the Dept. of Modern languages to provide Blackburn students with a way to get together and experience the cultures of Spanish-speaking countries via fun activities.
国产偷拍视频Students who major in Spanish Education get extensive hands-on teacher training and opportunities to teach before they graduate. Between off-campus field experience and on-campus teaching assistantship opportunities, you can easily go into the work force with four times the teaching experience of graduates from any other college.
Work Program Opportunities
Opportunities for majors include positions as teaching assistants, tutors and conversation partners. All of these jobs will add skills to your resume!
Hot Job Outlooks
Knowing Spanish improves your likelihood of being hired in any field, but is particularlyvalued in the fields of
- Law enforcement (local, state, federal: FBI, CIA)
- Legal professions (lawyer, judge, clerk)
- Medical professions (doctor, nurse, midwife, administration, insurance)
- Education (preschool, K-12, university)
- International relations/commerce/business
Whether you major in Spanish, or minor, or just take the basic sequence, Spanish
courses will prepare you for your career!
Of Dr. Wilson’s graduates…
19 work for local law enforcement agencies
2 work for the FBI
8 are medical doctors
10 are nurses
14 work for an international company
25 are teaching in K-12 schools
18 are college instructors or professors
10 own their own business
24 work in retail and regularly use their Spanish
12 work in the tourism industry
3 work at embassies or in cultural centers
3 are teaching abroad
国产偷拍视频 5 are court interpreters
国产偷拍视频100% are using their Spanish abilities to enhance their career!
More and more students at Blackburn are signing up for Spanish classes. They realize that whether they major, or minor, or just take the four basic classes, they will see benefits: fluency and hireability. Come see why Spanish at Blackburn is growing so fast!
国产偷拍视频Professor Timothy Wilson, as well as adjunct instructors Siri Engstrom and Michelle Schmidt, have all traveled extensively in the Spanish-speaking world and can share their expertise with students regarding culture, traditions, and more